Students with Disabilities

**SAT Accommodations**

Transition from High School to College for Students with Disabilities

Easing the Transition

Steps for the student

bullet Take high school courses that will get me into college
bullet Attend IEP meetings
bullet Discuss IEP assessment with special education teacher, liaison, counselor, and parents. Know academic strengths and weaknesses.
bullet Be able to describe disability
bullet Know the kinds of accommodations that can provide the opportunity to succeed in college.
bullet Take on more difficult tasks without the help of teachers or parents.
bullet Contact the department responsible for disability accommodations at the colleges.
bullet Visit Colleges.

About the SAT’s: For information on Services for Students with Disabilities visit

Where to Go??? Choices for life after high school

Community College:These are two-year colleges that have a focus on teaching, and thus they are interested in supporting the academic needs of students. Community colleges offer associates degrees and credits are generally transferable to four-year colleges. The law requires accommodations for students with learning disabilities but services vary from school to school.

Vocational Program: Vocational-technical schools stress "hands-on" learning and provide more on-the-job training than book learning. Students earn certificates rather than college degrees.

Four-Year Colleges and Universities: These institutions can be private or public and the size of their student bodies vary greatly. Four-year colleges offer bachelor’s degrees and many offer graduate and professional degrees. Accommodations for students with learning disabilities are required by law but services vary from school to school.

Full-Time Employment: Taking a full-time position after high school commits a student’s time and career direction to one specific line of work.

Military Service: This is a non-academic environment, but vocational skills training are available. Military service requires a time commitment for several years.


Admission Standards Exceptions: Learning Disabled Applicants

If you have a diagnosed learning disability, you do not have to take tests such as the SAT or ACT for admission to any public institution of higher education in Massachusetts. However, you will be required to submit documentation of your learning disability, and you still must complete the 16 required academic units with a minimum GPA of 2.0.

Joint Admissions: Students enrolled in any Massachusetts Community College in a designated transfer program are eligible to sign up for Joint Admissions. Once signed up, students need to earn their associates degree with a 2.5 or higher GPA, then are guaranteed admissions to the University of Massachusetts and most state colleges.


Curry College, the PAL Program (Program for Advancement of Learning). The PAL program is designed for students who have a primary diagnosis of a language-based learning disability and/or ADHD and who have a least average, ranging to superior, intellectual ability. For information, contact: The Learning Center at (617) 333-2250.

Westfield State College,makes every effort to provide an enriching educational experience for qualified learning disabled students. Applicants who wish to receive special consideration in the admission process and special tutorial services after enrollment must submit a copy of complete diagnostic testing along with official high school transcripts. For information contact: Director of Disability Services at (413) 572-5676.

Massasoit Community College, the LATCH Program is for you if you need to develop your math, reading, and/or writing skills. LATCH support includes required organized study sessions, professional tutors, peer tutors, counselors who aid in selecting college programs and setting personal goals, and offers a course in self-assessment and career planning. For information contact: (508) 588-9100, x1411.


- What type of support is available?

- Which courses provide tutoring?

- What kind of tutoring is available?

- How well do faculty members accept students with learning disabilities?

- Are courses in study skills or writing skills offered?

Meet with your Guidance Counselor´

Mansfield High School

Guidance Department

250 East Street

Mansfield, MA 02048

Phone (508) 261-7540

Fax (508) 339-0259

Sometimes when people are confused about what to do, they do nothing. Sometimes they decide to just wait and see what "comes along." These people later realize that doing nothing is in itself a choice, and that very seldom does anything worthwhile just "come along." Things happen for people who make them happen. Take control of your life, make a plan, and work hard. Your future begins now.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.